Media Research Center
The Nation’s Top Media Watchdog is Expanding and Looking for a Few Good Conservatives.
The Media Research Center keeps growing and so do the opportunities. Located in Reston, Virginia, the MRC works to bring political balance to the media, and to restore responsibility to the entertainment industry. The MRC also operates the popular news wire CNSNews.com. Application directions are found below.
News Analysis Division
Part-Time Sports Media Blogger
MRC Culture is looking for a few part-time, sports-addicted conservative bloggers to monitor sports media with an eye on cultural issues. Bloggers will scan ESPN; network sports casts; pre- and post-game shows; asinine Bob Costas half-time lectures; Grantland, Deadspin, and other popular sports blogs; sports columnists; Sports Illustrated, etc.
We care about attacks on “hyper-masculine” sports cultures and traditions, political correctness (think Red Skins name troubles), attacks on prayer and Christian athletes, sports and politics (who’s Obama golfing with this week?), Michael Sam, Ray Rice, Roger Goodell, Charles Barkley, Tim Tebow, Dennis Rodman, A-Rod, Greg Oden, Jameis Winston, Johnny Football, brush-back pitches, end zone dance idiocy, “the gay Jackie Robinson,” Augusta National, Title IX, role-models, NFL police blotters, steroids, trash-talking, Super Bowl ads, examples of class and the lack thereof.
Please send cover e-mail, resume and writing samples to Managing Editor Matt Philbin. firstname.lastname@example.org
Part-Time Permanent TV Blogger
MRC Culture is seeking a permanent, part-time blogger to monitor and blog about TV – the good, the bad and the ugly. This blogger will work 20 hours per week, watching entertainment TV shows, writing about them, clipping video and posting as appropriate.
Candidate must own or have access to a TV and actually enjoy watching it. He or she will keep current with trends and entertainment news and be willing to take ownership of MRC Culture’s entertainment TV. Familiarity with video clipping software is very helpful.
MRC Culture is socially conservative and documenting anti-traditional incidents or forays into liberal propagandizing on popular TV shows is part of the job – but only part. We’re also interested in cool stuff, plot twists, cameos, great performances, cliff-hangers, etc., and having them blogged in a pithy and entertaining manner. (Again, actually liking TV is helpful.)
Please submit cover e-mail, resume and writing samples to Matt Philbin, managing editor of MRC Culture. email@example.com.
Multimedia Reporter at CNSNews.com
CNSNews.com is accepting resumes for a full-time reporter, comfortable with all aspects of multimedia journalism for our online news service. The candidate is expected to cover Capitol Hill/Congress, as well as related events and persons, turning around a well-written, fact-based, lucid, concise, and well-produced story in one day, for posting online on deadline that day: text with audio and/or video.
The reporter must be eager to ask tough questions of members of Congress and the Executive Branch and report on issues that are of importance to a socially and fiscally conservative audience and which the mainstream media often ignore. (Read our news stories at CNSNews.com and the About Us and History pages before applying for this job.)
Candidate must be very familiar with political issues and basic economics and be able to recognize newsworthy topics as they occur on Capitol Hill and throughout the federal government. Familiarity with video-editing software, video cameras, and equipment a plus. Working accurately and quickly on deadline is vital to the job.
If you want to join one of the most exciting and effective online news teams covering Capitol Hill, send your resume and a cover letter to:
Michael Chapman, managing editor
Media Research Center – Major Donor Solicitor
Description: Conservative, non-profit media organization based in Reston, VA seeks an experienced Major Donor Solicitor to manage a portfolio of Major Donor prospects. This important position fosters, develops, and maintains relationships with high-level donors, and continually strategizes to identify, cultivate, and solicit prospects capable of making four-, five-, and six-figure contributions.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: nationwide travel up to 50% for donor solicitation; daily telephone calls to prospects; as-needed prospect research; maintaining accurate donor information through extensive use of Salesforce; and collaboration with support staff on mail merges, thank you letter distribution, and travel requirements. Additionally, attendance of team meetings and ongoing coordination among Solicitor colleagues to ensure shared responsibility of meeting the department budget is a must.
An ideal candidate will possess a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field with 3+ years of proven success in managing and growing a Major Donor portfolio within a non-profit environment. Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal skills a must with a knowledge of Salesforce software. Understanding of, and philosophical identification with the conservative movement is preferred.
For consideration, please email cover letter and résumé to Ashley Ciandella at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Top-Notch Writer Wanted
Conservative non-profit seeks experienced writer able to craft a wide range of written materials from annual reports to president’s letters, to social media. Job will include web, email and fundraising copy and video/radio scripts to support fundraising and marketing activities for a media watchdog organization. Experience writing copy for advertisements and promotional material coupled with an ability to juggle multiple deadlines is key.
Candidate must follow the news and have at least five years of experience writing news, public relations or marketing copy. Ideal candidate will be an excellent storyteller who can write in different voices for several unique audiences. Other essentials: Grammar skills, proofing ability, advanced research methods and strength of character to take criticism. Office is in Reston, VA. Sorry, no telecommuting.
Only A-list writers or people who want to meet the demands to become A-listers should apply.
Candidates should send three to five strong writing clips to: email@example.com. No calls.
Assistant Director of Marketing
The Assistant Director of Marketing (ADM) coordinates all marketing team day-to-day activities, including managing and executing all social media activities for multiple Media Research Center (MRC) brands spanning over 10 million Facebook fans and over 500,000 Twitter followers, with a sharp focus on growing the MRC’s reach and engagement on major social platforms and driving traffic to MRC’s web properties. The ADM is also responsible for achieving all marketing goals, including email acquisition, Facebook fan growth and engagement, grassroots action goals, and site traffic goals.
- Social Media Track Record – Candidates must have 2+ years of relevant experience and demonstrated success in building and growing an engaged social media audience on Facebook and Twitter, and a working knowledge of Instagram, Vine, Pinterest, Snapchat, and Google+.
- Data-Driven – Candidate must have a passion for tracking performance metrics, identifying areas that need attention, and coming up with ideas to address them.
- Entrepreneurial Attitude – Ideally, candidate will have experience building a digital audience through multiple online communication channels. Must be proactive, resourceful, and adaptive.
- Commitment to Conservative Principles – Candidates must understand key conservative values and beliefs and embrace the mission of the MRC.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage marketing team to ensure effectiveness and efficient use of resources.
- Coordinate with Development to support all online fundraising efforts.
- Lead social media strategy development and execution for MRC on Facebook and Twitter, as well as – to a lesser degree – Instagram, Vine, YouTube, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Google+ and other emerging social platforms. Educate MRC senior staff about social media trends.
- Assume daily posting duties for assigned Facebook, Twitter, and other social accounts, and monitor fan/follower feedback.
- Track, analyze, and report performance of social media efforts continuously and make adjustments as necessary to ensure achievement of REACH, ENGAGEMENT and TRAFFIC goals.
- Develop and execute advertising campaigns on Facebook and Twitter to achieve AUDIENCE GROWTH and EMAIL ACQUISITION goals.
- Use creative means to plan, organize, and implement a range of social media routine and rapid response campaigns that drive site traffic, engagement, and brand recognition.
- Develop and execute name acquisition strategies and tactics to ensure goals are met in a cost-effective manner.
- Coordinate with grassroots manager to increase activism (e.g., petitions, phone calls) among MRC fans and followers.
- Develop and execute digital advertising campaigns as required.
- Coordinate with graphic designer to develop creative and impactful images and video content to drive social engagement.
- Coordinate live Facebook events with MRC president (and other conservative leaders) and his fans.
- Monitor trends on Facebook, Twitter and other platforms continuously and adjust strategies and tactics to maximize performance.
- Manage marketing interns.
Performance & Success Metrics
- Facebook WEEKLY REACH and ENGAGEMENT
- DAILY VISITS to three main websites
- Number of FANS and FOLLOWERS on key social platforms
- COST PER ACQUISITION for Facebook fans and email addresses
- Advertising revenue for three major websites
- Expert on Facebook and Twitter, including advertising
- Strong writing skills and ability to frame social content to make it interesting and relevant to audience
- Attention to detail and passion for performance tracking
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Mastery of Google Analytics, Face book Power Editor, and other 3rd party social media management tools
- Managing budgets carefully and precisely
- Collaborating with marketing team and across departments
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Media Research Center, America's Media Watchdog, is looking for conservative-minded students and recent grads to join our team to help expose media bias in a professional environment. Internship opportunities are available in marketing, journalism, news analysis, development, blogging, video, communications, and IT. We are also looking for candidates proficient in Spanish to write and blog for MRC Latino.
Our challenging and competitive PAID internship program will provide you the training and hands-on experience you will need to succeed in the fast-paced, demanding world of media and public policy. If you have excellent writing skills, knowledge of current events, and a passion for conservative principles, then the MRC wants you! Located just miles from the nation's capital on the new Metro Silver Line, the MRC works to bring balance and restore responsibility to the media industry.
Apply today at www.mrc.org/internships!
* For full-time positions: Excellent benefits and salary commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Send a cover letter and resume to:
David Martin, Executive Vice President
Media Research Center
1900 Campus Commons, Reston, VA 20191
or Fax (571) 357-0099